If you’re a history buff, San Juan should be high up on your list of ‘must-see’ destinations. The second-oldest European-founded settlement in America, this beautiful city was established in 1521. You’ll love getting lost in the streets of Old San Juan. To get there comfortably, book your San Juan flights with Air Europa on our official website.
Things to Do in San Juan
- Old San Juan: This historic town centre has over 400 buildings restored from the 16th and 17th Enjoy the beautiful architecture, coloured houses and cobbled streets.
- Castillo San Felipe del Morro: Explore this old fort that was once used to protect the city in battle.
- Ocean Park Beach: Spend a day snorkelling or sunbathing at one of the city’s most beautiful beaches.
- Fortaleza Street: Grab an authentic meal at one of the local and international restaurants on this cosy little street.
- San Sebastian Street: Head here to go bar hopping and meet the locals over many happy hours. This street is also the setting where the famous carnival, Fiestas de la Calle San Sebastian, takes place every January.
- El Yunque Rainforest: 40 minutes east of San Juan, located in Rio Grande, this rainforest is one of Puerto Rico’s top destinations. Hike or canoe around the greenery or take a swim in the pools under the waterfalls.
San Juan Beaches
As well as Ocean Park Beach, Escambron Beach is worth a visit. This popular, central beach offers beautiful white sand, and the sea is just choppy enough for surfers to catch a few waves and calm enough for swimmers to snorkel or tread water. Alternatively, Condado is a fantastic choice for a bit of atmosphere. Live music or beach parties often take place, and plenty of nearby restaurants let you refuel.
San Juan Nightlife
San Juan expands past its renowned cobblestone streets into a dynamic centre for nightlife, restaurants and culture. Visit La Placita de Santurce to get a taste of the local beer and typical fried late-night snacks with the locals on Thursdays and Fridays, or head to nearby Isla Verde for fancier nightclubs and even more restaurants and bars. If you’re looking for traditional salsa dancing, head to El Nuyorican in Old San Juan, or follow the sound of music to discover the latest speakeasy.
The Weather in San Juan
No matter when you visit San Juan, you’ll enjoy hot, sunny weather. Temperatures stay consistently warm year-round. However, it can get quite rainy, so be prepared for some tropical downpours. The driest months are February to May.
Look to Air Europa for great deals on flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico. Enjoy in-flight Wi-Fi to make the most of your travel time.