The capital city of Paraguay boasts stunning colonial-era architecture and an array of things to see and do. A vibrant and dynamic city often overlooked by tourists, visit somewhere a bit different to the norm and book your Air Europa flights to Asunción today. Find the best prices when you book online on Air Europa’s official website!
- Feast your eyes on the elegant Palacio de los López in its dazzling white glory, a building that combines neoclassical and Palladian designs and is today home to the national government. Be sure to stop by in the evening to admire the building when it’s magically illuminated.
- Observe the changing of the guard ceremony at the shrine of Panteón Nacional de los Héroes.
- Stroll along La Costanera and soak up the tranquil riverside vibe.
- Experience the local way of life in the colourful neighbourhood of Loma San Jerónimo. The city’s oldest neighbourhood, it is especially lively on Sundays when the streets are awash with vibrant performers and market stalls.
- See where Paraguay declared its independence from Spain and view historic artefacts at Casa de la Independencia.
- Learn more about the city’s past and culture at museums like El Cabildo and Museo del Barro.
- Watch a passionate and animated football game at Estadio Defensores del Chaco.
- Escape the city’s hustle and bustle at the Botanical Garden or the lush Parque de la Salud.
- Shop till you drop at the large Mercado 4, selling everything from clothes and electronics to fresh produce and handicrafts.
- Take a trip across the river to the charming village of Chaco-í.
Major Celebrations and Events in Asunción
- Verbana de San Juan is one of the most interesting events, combining religious and cultural elements. It takes place in May each year and is held in honour of Saint John.
- In July, the city hosts a large trade fair with various exhibitions, music, and food.
- Día de San Blas honours the country’s patron saint and takes place every February.
- A large carnival with parades, street parties, music, food, and street stalls starts at the beginning of Christian Lent.
When to Visit Asunción
January, November, and May are the most popular months to visit Asunción, though it has mild winters and you’ll generally find warm days year-round. September is the quietest month with occasional windy conditions, and you can find great deals on accommodation if you travel then. December to January is the hottest period in this wonderful city, with bright sunny days. Book with Air Europa and get the best flight deals to Asunción!