A unique city steeped in history and religion, Santiago is a site of pilgrimage for thousands of visitors a year, and not without good reason – Santiago is home to one of the most prominent cathedrals in Europe, as well as the remains of St. James. You don't have to be religious to enjoy a trip to Santiago de Compostela, though. The beauty of the city attracts cyclists, runners, hikers and holidaymakers all keen to spend some time in the wonderfully friendly city. Book your Santiago de Compostela flights with Air Europa for a comfortable journey on board modern, spacious aircrafts. When you fly with us, you'll enjoy the journey.
Things to Do in Santiago de Compostela
- Museo do Pobo Galego: Check out Galician folk art and incredible handmade artworks and monuments housed in this locally-run gallery.
- Catedral of Santiago de Compostela: Visit the famous cathedral and marvel at its incredible architecture and beautiful monuments.
- Botafumeiro: Located in the cathedral, this important monument swings side to side and releases calming and healing smoke and incense during Mass; it’s an incredible sight to witness.
- Casco Histórico: Explore the historic city centre and sit down for a cup of coffee with an incredible view.
- Mirador Parque da Alameda: Enjoy a walk around the luscious gardens and take a break from the city.
Santiago de Compostela Pilgrimage
Along the ‘Camino De Santiago’, otherwise known as ‘The Way of St. James’ in English, Santiago de Compostela is an essential stop because it is the site of St. James’s remains, which were discovered here in the 9th century. You can visit his burial site in the Cathedral. It's the site that many religious pilgrims visit in search of spiritual meaning, but the route is also a popular track for cyclists, hikers and tour groups.
The Weather in Santiago de Compostela
June to September are the best months to visit because the weather warms up to beautiful summer days. This is also the driest time of the year, so drizzles won’t dampen your holiday. Nevertheless, you can still enjoy a visit to Santiago de Compostela in the winter. The weather is quite mild then but it can be a little rainy. Be sure to pack an umbrella so you can continue to explore the city regardless of the weather.
Book flights to Santiago de Compostela on Air Europa’s official website and enjoy a holiday on hallowed ground.